Saturday, February 13, 2010

Valentine's Day and Trash Stories

2-14-10

Happy Valentine's Day! I know that this is not Valentine's Day for most of you, but it is for Alison and I.

Well, we have slowly been trying to reduce our trash. Apparently, when we put the trash out, the city wouldn't accept it. They picked up the plastic bag that fell out, but they slapped a sticker on the bin that said too full. Yeah...like that's going to make it less full. Now we have to wait another week for them to pick it up. It was irritating too, because our landlady texted Alison (and one more roommate) to tell us that the trash was unacceptable and that maybe we should contact the city for a bigger bin. It was irritating, because she was telling that to us, when we only had one small bag in there that belonged to us. Most of the trash was empty beer bottles and that kind of thing.

My trash story was nasty too. I went to dump our small bag which contained some papers, so I had to put it in the recycling bin. There are 3 bins. Recycling, regular trash, and organic (foodstuff). Well, I tried to stuff our trash in, then ventured to find the recycling. I openned the lid of one of the cans and about a million bugs flew out and started landing on me. It was the organic bin. So I quickly closed the lid, stuffed the recycling in the correct bin, then ran to the bathroom to wash my arms. It was so nasty. Well, we have been trying to reduce the trash by taking a couple bags when we go into the city and stuffing them in public trash cans.

So back to today, we got up and got ready for Church. We decided to go to the Baptist Church, and we really liked it. They tried to combine traditional with contemporary. I don't know that it worked, but I guess it was better for us, because it is our favorite Church so far.

So right now, our roommates are in the kitchen making rice with the pressure cooker. We encountered this yesterday. It is fine until suddenly it makes out loud and airy piercing sound that is very loud. It does this every few minutes and it scares us each time it sounds.

Of course the kitchen is back to being messy with all the dishes. The French couple will move out Tuesday and as far as I know, no one is taking the room. The one person we met who thought about taking it found another place.

We were going to go to another Church tonight, but as it is 7:00 now, we will not be able to make it. So we will probably go to another one on Sunday. Hopefully we can find a Church soon. Well, now it is the start of the week again. Hopefully something will come up for me in terms of work. Thanks for the prayers.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Mandy! Happy Valentine's Day and guess what, Happy Lunar (Chinese New Year) too! I finally got a chance to visit your blogsopt and oh man did I miss so much! It'll definitely going to take ma a while to catch up on all the juicy stuff. But at least it is nice to know that I get to know all the adventure and stories you get to have and with the level of details, it looks like I won't be missing out on too much!! Miss you and love you! Oh btw.. I will be on Skype during night time US time, so what is that, your noon time? Let me know when would be a good time for you. - Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Valentine's Day. Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete