Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Home Sweet Home and Hokey Pokey

Monday 2-8-10

So we got up, made toast, crammed our food (and a free bag of noodles from the hotel) and started to go to our new home. It took a while to get there. We just dropped everything and Alison left (after showing me what to do with the wireless). Our power was off, so nothing worked. I got my computer and went to the library.

My mom actually called me on skype so I instant messaged her for a while. We had little problems here and there like getting cut off or not seeing each other. Then my computer really cut off and would not allow me to go online anymore. I was in the library and it told me that I reached the maximum download. I didn’t download anything unless skype is considered downloading.

I got a call from the preschool owner’s husband and he said he would let her know she could call me when she was available. Then I tried Chinese noodles. I was afraid to try it, since I am allergic to MSG, but I did not have a reaction. They didn’t taste that great, but it was food.

Then I came home. The power was on, so I tried to figure out the wireless. I could not do it for the life of me. So I just gave up. My flatmmates were watching the Superbowel, which was really funny to see. There was a rock band/heavy metal/screaming boy type band across the street that was practicing. It sounds awful and annoying.

Alison and I had no motivation at all for unpacking, but we did it. Unpacking is like the worst thing in the world (aside from packing). We sorted everything in some kind of order. Then we, with the help of a flatmate, go our wireless working. Then we decided to check out the nearby stores. While Alison went to get something, I decided to figure out the power surge. So I got the power surge, put in the adapter, put on the converter, put on the other adapter, then plugged in the power surge. Looked ridiculous. Then I turned the power on. There was a loud pop, a bright blue spark, and a horrible smell. Ooops! So, I waited a second, pulled everything out, and left the room. The flat has a funny smell anyway, so I hoped no one would notice.

So Alison and I went to the store to buy a few things and got food. We decided to watch While You Were Sleeping (a comfort movie), but realized we could not plug in our computers. Mine was dead and hers was just about dead. So we watched about 10 minutes of the movies, before it stopped.

Then we ate Hokey Pokey ice cream, supposedly a New Zealand favorite. It is vanilla ice cream with Hokey Pokey pieces in it. Hokey Pokey is like circular Heath bars with caramel surrounding it. It sometimes tastes like the Lucky Charms marshmallows. At first we weren’t sure about it. But we really like it.

Then I tried to charge my phone. Our outlet is dead, so we tried the one in the hall. That was dead too. So I charged it in the living room. After that was done, I tried to charge my laptop. It didn’t work for some reason.

The preschool owner texted me, but it was really late. She wants me to meet her at the preschool at 12:30 tomorrow to talk again. I have decided to do the term-by-term contract.

So our flat is very diverse. We have a Kiwi, a French couple (who are actually leaving in 10 days), an Indian doctor, a Korean, and us Americans. We might have a Canadian as a roommate to take over the French couple’s place. Kind of fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment