Tuesday, February 9, 2010

The Pentecostal Way

Sunday 2-7-10

So, Alison went to work and the other girl (roommate) checked-out. I got up and ate toast and juice. That juice has really tasted good to us. Then I ran to the bus exchange and went to see what platform I needed to go to. By the time I got there, I thought I missed it. Well, I actually came just in time. I got off at the right street, but I wasn’t exactly sure where the church was located on that street. I had to walk a little ways to find it. I found it and went in.

I took a seat and the pastor introduced himself to me. Then he went up to lead the songs. They had a computer for the words and music. The music was like choir singing. So it was kind of hard to follow, because there were solos and choir parts. Not the same as singing with a piano and worship leader.

Anyway, then they took the offering. There were 13 people total including myself, the pastor, and the district superintendent (who was actually speaking). After he spoke, I tried to figure out what to do. A guy came up, introduced, himself and invited me to lunch and asked if I would come again. I really didn’t want to answer him, so I kind of bypassed the questions. At this point, the District Super came back, because he said he forgot to take Communion. They take Communion the first Sunday of the month.

After Communion, EVERYONE came up to me. They actually formed a line. After talking to me, they congregated to the kitchen for lunch and tea. Then the District Super started talking to me. He asked if I was musical. I said I like to sing and could play a little piano, but wasn’t very good. He asked why I was here and I mentioned I was a teacher looking for a job. Then he started going off a bit when the pastor came in and asked me all these questions and they talked to each other. Apparently they have been wanting a teacher to come in to help their Church grow and they wanted someone to be their worship leader. It was kind of hard for me, because I really didn’t want to stay and I really was thinking, “This isn’t the right church.” It was too small and I don’t want to get THAT involved so soon. I would like to get involved, but I kind of want other things to start falling into place first before I start making those kinds of commitments. I felt like my statements were giving them false hopes and encouragements.

Well, they told me to come for lunch and tea. I said I had to go catch the bus, but they told me they would drive me back. I felt like I had no more excuses, so I accepted. They had Egg Sandwiches and cheerios (mini hot dog like things with a red casing). I started eating and then they gave me tea (EWWWW). I felt rude, since they served it to me. It was too hot, so I waited for it to cool off a lot first. Then I gulped it down as fast as I could. Then I got another egg sandwich to take out the flavor. It was nasty.

It was kind of funny being with them. I am not used to being the young and new foreigner. EVERYONE wants to know all the little things and differences about my country. I am not used to that kind of attention where everyone stares at you and hangs on to your every word. They had so many questions.

People started leaving and a lady offered me a ride home, but the pastor and Super decided to take me back to the hotel. This is one thing I have to say about Churches here. Small or big, everyone really tries to do what they can to help you. When they hear we don’t have jobs, they pray for us immediately. When they hear we don’t have homes, they try to think of options for us. All of them have given us their contact information. Everyone offers things to us. They truly care about us and want to make sure we are taken care of. I haven’t felt that way about Churches in a long time, which is sad. People really go above and beyond to help us feel welcome. It is sad that we feel uncomfortable at that kind of attention, when it should be the norm. People should feel accepted and wanted and taken care of. I have loved that about these Churches. We feel like we could contact anyone in the Church and they will do their best to help us out.

Anyway, we left and they drove me back to the city. The pastor gave me his number to call him if I would like to. Then Kevin called me on Skype and I answered and muted it. It was so fun to see Michelle and Kevin and Karsie. Of course Kevin was making me laugh a lot (as he always does) and I had to try and muffle the laugh sounds in the library. People kept looking at me funny.

My computer died, so I went to the room and then to the Botanical Garden. I was writing in my journal when I heard someone say “Hello.” I looked up and there were two guys looking at me. They gave me a flier for a Church. I took it thinking maybe it was a Church we might want to look into. Then they started talking to me and asked what I believed. I briefly explained telling them I was a Nazarene and that we believe we need to have a relationship with God. They asked if we had the guys grow out their hair like Sampson…I thought that was funny. So then I asked them what and where their Church was. They said they didn’t have a Church, but were meeting in houses. They said they were Pentecostal. Well, then our conversation turned to other things for a little bit…then they moved into speaking in tongues. Great!

Then the conversation began to be more frustrating. I know some of you are not Christians and may have no idea what I am or will be talking about. It you are interested, then send me an email I will explain these things to you.

Anyway, I told them that I don’t believe that we need to speak an unknown language to have a relationship with God and that speaking in tongues was not something I practice nor plan to practice. So they started going on about people who “believed as I do” but decided to try speaking in tongues and their ministry took off: healing people…

Then they started sharing versus they underlined, telling stories about the Bible…all of which I knew and could quote myself. They said that sometimes we don’t know what to pray and that if we start muttering, God will put the words in our mouth…the Holy Spirit will give us the language or something and we will be filled with the Holy Spirit…

It was so frustrating. I agreed with everything they said up to a point. I just don’t think we have to speak in tongues. They kept going on and on trying to convince me to speak in tongues. Then they would wait for me to say something. It is such a trivial thing to argue about, and they seemed to think it was vital. It is like they were afraid I would be a lost soul if I did not speak in tongues.

I tried to keep myself from laughing at times, because I just wanted to tell them, “Guys, I am fine. I understand your ministry, but my faith and my relationship with God are secure. Not speaking in tongues will not separate me from God. I am a Christian. Find someone who is not, but try not to scare them away.”

They eventually left after showing me their website. Then other people sat on my bench. We were watching the punters (the boat rides along the Avon River). I watched the ducks chasing each other. There was some kind of choir concert in the distance.

Then Alison texted me and I met her on the street. She was on her feet all day, but she seems to like it better and better. She told me that her boss and another guy at the restaurant saw us moving our luggage yesterday. They told her, “Well, your luggage wasn’t as bad, but your friend’s…” Made me feel wonderful having them all making fun of me. Apparently they thought we had all that luggage just for the weekend. We were just glad they didn’t see us with our first load.

Then we had dinner and searched for a Church for a 7:00 service. We found one. As we were walking, the buildings to our left had 333 address. To the right had 200 addresses. There was a huge gap between the right and the left. The address we were looking for was 332, so we had to walk further until the addresses to the left were up to 500 or something.

We found it and sat down. A girl came up to us and talked to us. She asked if we had been to only Pentecostal Churches….Great! Another one. I was afraid those guys would show up and say how wonderful it was to see me here. They didn’t fortunately.

Anyway, I only knew one song. Everyone would talk and pray at the same time. It was okay, but just seemed chaotic. The pastor came up and prophesied about a couple. Then a man spoke. This was his last Sunday. Alison and I have yet to go to a normal service where the pastor speaks himself! So this man got up and started praying. Then he started prophesying about a whole bunch of different people. He had a couple stand up and started prophesying and had them “Take a prophetic step.” As soon as this couple stood up, the pastor and a guy stood behind one person. Then the speaker lifted up his hand and pushed, kind of, on the guy’s stomach and then pushed back on his forehead and the guy started falling back. The guy behind him caught him. Then the speaker pushed back on the lady’s forehead and she fell all the way back (kind of supported by the pastor). She stayed laying on the ground for a while, and the speaker was still talking. It was unnerving. I was afraid he was going to do something to us.

Well, he finished and started yelling and screaming as he preached. He told us we needed to speak in tongues and he passed out a couple books about speaking in tongues, one about planting Churches “because if we want to follow God we have to plant Churches.”

It was just too chaotic for us. So when he was praying (I think at the end) we kind of ran out so we wouldn’t have to talk to anybody. I have had more preaching at me today than I would like.

So we went back to the room and had a quiet game of Rummy and went to bed. The person above Alison moved a lot and lots of creaking sounded with it. I could hear the honeymooners talking, kissing…

2 comments:

  1. What a blessing to be able to say "my faith and relationship with God are secure." I'd have hurried out of the pushing service too. mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is good to ponder how we feel when others try to witness to us. Definately gives a better perspective of how to share. mom

    ReplyDelete