Sunday, February 21, 2010

Spending Time On My Own

Friday Feb 10, 2010

I went to Pak-N-Save today (a local grocery and necessity store that is cheaper than the other stores in the city). It is quite a ways walk. They have a free shuttle that goes part way. I spent a lot of money on food as we didn't really have any and had to walk all this food (and plenty of toilet paper) all the way back to the room with the shuttle helping a little. My arms were quite sore by the time I came back. I also tried to hand in my CVs to the gift shops, but they were so full of tourists, I couldn't find anyone who wasn't extremely busy. I tried to give it to one shop, but she told me not to bother. Wow.


During the weekends, the cruise ships port and thousands of tourists flood the city. They obviously have to get a bus to take them here, since we are not by the coast. You can tell the cruise ship came in, when all of the tourist shops say 10% off on cruises. I went to the Gardens and sat for a while waiting for Alison to come home from work. At around 4:30, I started heading home, since Alison got off at work at 5:00. I beat her home so I did some job hunting. 5:30, 6:00, 6:30, 7:00, 7:30...Alison still didn't come home. I was getting worried, so I texted her at 7:45 to see if she had eaten and where she was. She texted me a little after 8:00 saying she was coming. She worked all that time...12 hours. She had already eaten, so I fixed dinner for myself. She said she was feeling like her workaholic self and it felt great. She also told me not to wait for her, because this might happen frequently.

A new flatmate came in so now we are a full flat. She is a Kiwi girl (I think), which was disappointing. I was hoping for another international person. Our singing flatmate was...singing...a lot...very loudly...with a tambourine! He wanted another flatmate to tape him and put it on YouTube. Apparently he had done that before and had several hits...I don't know if I would take that as a compliment considering why many people put things on YouTube and why they have so many hits...

Saturday Feb. 20, 2010

Two of our flatmates went out to a party last night and came back around 5 in the morning and were talking quite loudly. One never went to bed and stayed up all night. Wow. Well, today Alison worked from 10-5 and had a concert at 7:30 so basically I wouldn't see her at all. So I spent the day on my own.

Daisy and Alicia told me they would be on skype at a certain time, but I never saw them. When they were off, I got a message telling me they were on and they would try back later. I texted her telling her that I was on too, and that I would stay on. She actually texted me back saying she was on, although it never showed me she was. Really weird. I don't know what was going on, but I called and she was able to answer.

It was so cute! They bought a cake and had a candle on it and sang to me for my birthday. Then we talked for a while about...lots of stuff. It was so good to see them and just talk. Although it was difficult to hear them at times. For some reason the sound would go in and out frequently so I had to constantly turn my volume up and down. They told me they could tell when I couldn't hear them, because I had a blank look on my face.

I then made lunch and headed out. I passed by Alison's restaurant, and actually saw her, but she didn't see me. I then went to the Canterbury Museum to finish what we didn't see. I really like that museum.

I came back to the room and Alison came in a couple minutes later. She ate a little and I walked back into town with her. She went to the concert, and I decided to be a tourist. I took pictures of all the sights I could think of. Some are in daylight, and some at night. It was fun, but at night, only the clubs are open, so the drunk people come out and act crazy. So I started heading back. When I headed back, I looked at the stars. It is hard to see the stars, because there are so many city lights. I did see a few...they were Orion's belt, and other appendages. It was cool to see, since those are the stars I can easily identify in California. It made me smile.

When I went in the room, I was getting ready for a shower. One of my flatmates asked if I was hungry, because she had made Korean food for friends and she made too much. I said thank you, but I was fine and took my shower. After my shower, I realized I was really hungry and told her I changed my mind if she was still willing to give up some of her food. She jumped right up and started cooking this...thing. I don't know what it is called, but there is an egg and flower base, so it kind of looks like an omelet. Inside there is a cucumber type thing, and squash type thing or something, and a type of grass type thing. Really don't know how to describe it, but you dip it in a kind of spicy soy sauce. It was sooooo good. Alison came home and she made some for her too. We watched The Terminal while we ate. Mmmmmmmmmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment