Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Buses to Lyttelton and Sumner

Saturday 2-6-10

So there is a guy who smokes all the time near our room. Whenever I go to the room, he always seems to be around. I don’t know if he works here or what, but I am going to develop lung cancer or something from second hand smoking! I hate that smell.

I also found out the couple next to us are on their honeymoon. Not surprising. I kept hearing them kissing…fortunately nothing else!

My calluses are peeling, so my skin is driving me crazy. Alison and I walked to the bus exchange and took the bus to Lyttelton (a town about 20 minutes away). We only spent an hour going up and down streets. It was really small and not a whole lot to see. It was cute and had a harbor, but it was also cloudy.

We found a museum that was only open from 2:00-4:00, so we didn’t go. You could see the harbor, hills, and houses. There was a farmers market that we meandered through. Then we went on another bus to go to Sumner (another town). This was our first time using the bus, so I was nervous. It wasn’t bad though. If we use 2 buses during the day, the rest of the day is free. We used more than 2 buses, so we had a lot of free rides.

We took the bus all the way to the end, but realized we should have gotten off earlier if we wanted to go into town. So we walked back along the beach. It was a really pretty area. When we got into town, we were starving, so we ordered an Aloha Pizza (pineapple and ham). We split a large pizza between the two of us and ate the whole thing. The people next to us (4 people) ordered a large pizza and split it among the four of them. Kind of made us feel like pigs.

We then went back to Christchurch and finished packing. We decided to take the buses to our new place so we put our stuff somewhere. We went back and forth to the bus stop. It was not fun and we had a lot of luggage. We took two trips to the bus stop and took two separate ways to get there. The first trip wasn’t bad. We went to our seats and got to the house fairly quickly. The second trip was the obese bags trip. We waddled all through town to get to the bus stop. It was not easy. Then we had to climb the steps (the bus driver asked to make sure I didn’t want to go to the airport since this bus was not going there). Anyway, we got to the house, but the house has a rocky driveway up to the door. So I had to put the suitcase on my feet, and then hurl the suitcase to move it a couple feet. I had to continue repeating this until I got to the door. I dragged it then to our new room.

We then walked back partway and took a bus the rest of the way (making 7 bus rides in all). We then took showers and I wanted to blow dry my hair. Well, there was no blow drier in my bathroom, so I had to take my shower and then transfer to another bathroom to get the drier.

So tomorrow is my Nazarene Church, bus ride experience. Lets see how it goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment