Tuesday, February 16, 2010

An Unbirthday Birthday

Wednesday Feb 17 2010

Well, today is kind of my birthday, but then again not really. The date is my birthday, but I guess since I was born in the States, I guess it is not technically my birthday until tomorrow. I guess it is good considering I am 25 years old and feel like I am going no where fast.

Anyway, the days are kind of becoming the same in a way. Looking for jobs, applying to jobs, getting nothing back. There have been a couple vacancies in the primary schools, but they don't start until term 2 which is middle of March I think. I have also gotten off my high horse and just applied to anything I can do. Anything...library, bookstores, tutor, caregiver, cleaning lady...I am hoping to hear from someone soon, but haven't heard anything. I have been getting out there in the city giving my CV to just about anyone I can think of. We will see.

So back to the week, on Monday Alison was scheduled to work, but when she arrived, they said they were overstaffed. So she had to go home, with a side trip to pay our rent. We also decided to do one load of laundry and sneak to put the clothes in the drier. We feel like we are entitled to it since we barely use our lights and we never watch TV...unlike our other roommates. We didn't even finish the load, because we felt guilty using the drier. Anyway, I got to talk to Kevin, Michelle, and Karise on skype which was awesome. I also got to talk to my friend Daisy too. I was going to talk to Alicia, but we were not able to get on at the same time unfortunately. There is really nothing more to report on there.

On Tuesday, Alison had the day off. We looked for jobs and applied. Then we decided to make pasta. At that time a roommate came back and kind of snapped. He was just so frustrated at the house looking like a mess and went on a cleaning frenzy. He put all the dishes away, vacuumed the floor, mopped the floor, cleaning the trash items...things like that. We tried to stay out of his way, but had to fix our lunch. It looked amazing when he finished and we were glad that he wanted to have a clean house just like us. He just was a little more aggressive about it than us.

Well, then we went to get a couple things from the store. We needed a hamper and we found one for 99 cents. Well, we have discovered that at this store, prices are not reliable. Things are horribly marked and mismarked. It was so irritating when we stand in line, it rings up way more than it is supposed to, and we have to stand back in line to exchange it. So then we just found a free shuttle and waited for it. Of course the shuttle was way late, so we stood there for a while. when it did come, it was REALLY full and we had to stand. Well, at one of the stops, there was this older lady who was pushing a cart. Someone asked if I could help since I was right by the door. So I got the cart and tried to lift it off the bus to the side walk. IT WAS HEAVY!!! Well, I got it to the sidewalk and offered my hand to help her down. Well, the shuttle doors started closing so I continued to help her while making sure half of my body was on the bus. So my body was being squished as the doors closed, but I refused to move so the bus couldn't go without me. It did work and he eventually opened the doors again so I could get the rest of my body inside and continue on our way.

Then today happened. It was so sweet. I got up after Alison went to work. I noticed, through my mostly blind eyes, something on my nightstand. I couldn't tell what it was so reached for it. Alison gave me a really cute birthday card and my favorite cadbury eggs! She also gave me a map of an upside down world. I know only a couple people know this, but this map was actually my idea. Making the world upside down, but someone got to it first. Just a random and probably confusing fact for you, but oh well. Anyway, it just made my day to see it. When she comes back for work, we are going to a place for dinner and have good food. What a treat! I am probably going to be sending out more CVs the rest of the day.

Well, Happy Birthday to me. And and Very Merry Unbirthday to You!

4 comments:

  1. Hey Mandy.... Happy Birthday (New Zealand Time)! - Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! HAPPY QUARTER LIFE BIRTHDAY! I'm so glad you get to eat real food! -SPB

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy New Zealand Birthday! Glad you survived the bus squish. What a wonderful roommate you have. Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Mandy!

    You are in our hearts, Love Carol and Mark
    Happy belated birthday!!!!

    ReplyDelete