Friday, February 12, 2010

Catching Up

I first just wanted to say thank you for all the encouragement you have given me. I have had emails, posts on my blog, calls (on skype) of just encouraging words. I have appreciated them so much.


It has really been a hard couple of days. After the phone call, I had to do something to keep myself occupied. I looked through the bus routes, looked for jobs, but I got to the point where I just got fed up. I put my face down on my bed to keep Alison from seeing me cry. I hate crying, especially in front of people. Even my best friends haven't seen me cry, that I can remember...except my mom of course...and my brother. Anyway, Alison and I just decided to eat and go to bed.


The next day, I got up and just searched for jobs. I felt like the word UNQUALIFIED was continuously staring at me in the face for each advertisement. I am even unqualified to work in a restaurant. I know that my sound like I am just being stupid, but for those who know me well know my balance and coordination is...not up to par. I know I would be fired quite quickly. I can't even be a nanny, because I need a car. I was able to find a library assistant vacancy and applied to that. I went through hundreds of advertisements and finally found a website that allowed me to email every school in Christchurch (including all the suburbs) to ask about a teaching position or a relieving position. There were about 60 schools. It was exhausting.


Then I took a shower to wash the day away. The searching took a lot out of me. Plus I was so focused that I didn't eat anything that day. I tend to make eating a last priority when it comes to stress and having a lot to do. It is my focus mode. Anyway, for all the searching and being hunched around the computer all day, my elbow joint really started hurting. So I wrapped it tight. Eventually Alison came back and we went to eat dinner.


On Friday, I hadn't gotten any emails from the places I applied to, so I got the list of schools and the emails, and emailed all of them. Apparently the website I went to did not work, so I emailed them through my account. After I was done, I checked my email and I got a response back from the library assistant job (saying thank you and if I make it they would be in touch with me). I also got an email saying they didn't need me. I got another email saying to be a relief teacher, I need to contact an agency. Apparently to be a relief teacher, you have to go through an agency and they will get you into the schools you want to relieve (good thing I wasn't told about this before, huh?) You would think my adviser would be very clear on this so I would know. I got still another email saying there was a vacancy and I could complete an application, which I did immediately.


I then went to go down to a school in person to deliver my CV. They obviously didn't need me there. They tried to be nice enough, but they tried a little too hard I think. Then I went to a Christian bookstore to apply there.

Then I called my mom. I can pay $2 for 1 hour, so I called to be able to speak to her, which really helped a lot. Plus, I got to talk to my friend Daisy on skype, which helped me too. I really have been blessed with many family and friends who go out of there way to show they care. Thanks again.


Well, when Alison came home, she told me our landlady and electrician had texted her about our outlet not working. It actually started working a couple days ago (for who knows what reason), so she told our landlady it was fine. She later texted the electrician that we didn't need him. Then he texted when he should come over and what her work schedule would be next week so that he could come in. She told him that she didn't know yet and to contact our landlady. Then he asked if we could put the key outside somewhere for him to pick up. At that point she texted our landlady to say she didn't know what to do. So the landlady said that was weird and to tell him that she (the landlady) would be there in the morning and to contact her (the landlady). Alison did so, and he still texted saying to tell our landlady that he would be there, because he left all of the contact information of our landlady at work. Wow! What an ordeal. And that only cost Alison $.20 a text! Not something she should have had to deal with.


Well yesterday (Saturday 2-13-10), was a work day. We had a lot of shopping to do...Well, that didn't start until way later. We got up and had breakfast and decided to wash the nasty dishes that have been piling up. Basically, the whole kitchen is nasty. The floor is dirty, there is a whole bunch of dishes, the counter was disgusting, there were empty boxes...The trashcans are completely full. So Alison and I just started washing LOTS of dishes. then we started cleaning the counters, then we started organizing. One of our roommates came in and I guess felt guilty, so she started helping. Then two other roommates came in and I think they started feeling guilty too, because they started helping with vacuuming, sorting, cleaning the empty or old food stuff that belong to people before us...Well, it took a long time, but it started looking way better.


Then we started the laundry. The washer was doing weird stuff and it was difficult to figure out. You have to make sure the wash is on cold (which we did, but when another roommate pushed the button, for some reason it worked). Anyway, that took us a while too. Then...we went shopping. We needed hangers, food, and other stuff. It took us the rest of the day.


Then we got our clothes. Apparently we cannot use the drier (often) so we have to put our clothes on the line outside. We didn't want to leave our clothes out there all night, and we didn't want to leave our nice things out there either, because it would be sun bleached. Plus, there were spider webs and cobwebs all over the lines. So....we had to bring them in our room. Clothes were all over our floor. It looked ridiculous. Plus it was difficult to move around when we go from one end to the other. Good thing we have lots of floor space.


When we got ready for bed, we made sure the door was securely closed. Except once. Alison left for a second and left the door open. Well of course that is when one of our roommates came to use the bathroom which is right across our room. When I heard the footsteps, I tried to quickly close the door. I don't know if he saw the ridiculous sight, but it made us laugh so hard we cried. Here is a picture of the ridiculous floor. Good times.

2 comments:

  1. Hahaha.. man Mandy. I didn't know you had this kind of "messy" potential - Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, at least I get some idea of what your room looks like. Mom

    ReplyDelete