Monday, March 29, 2010

More Transitions

Tuesday 30 March 2010

I know it has been a while since my last entry, and I am trying to figure out how to write what has happened in the past couple of days.

On Tuesday, I went to the bank and opened an account. It took quite a while to do that, but at least it is done now, and I don't have to worry about cashing a check every time I get one. I also went to the library where I went to look for a few books (none of which were there). As soon as I walked in, I walked to a broken down computer I couldn't use and had to go up the escalator and went to the wrong side. When I finally went to the side that was going up, I missed the step and stumbled on the escalator very clumsily. It was kind of embarrassing.

On Wednesday, I got up and started writing in my journal. As soon as I put the pen down, I got a phone call from the preschool asking if I could come in for 1/2 a day. I immediately accepted and ran to the bus stop (as it would take me an hour to walk there). I got to work for three hours.

On Thursday, I got up at 6:37 to get to the preschool and worked. It was so cold in the morning that my fingers were in pain. I was freezing and someone said the morning was probably a frosty morning. It just shows us that autumn is here and summer has gone. When I walked home, a little girl in front of the school stopped me and asked if I had seen her mom. I really wanted to go on, but of course instinct kicked in, and I could not leave this seven year old girl by herself. So I stayed with her and asked her some questions. Fortunately, her mom came a little later. When I got home, one of our flatmate's friend wrote a nasty note to all of us that really made Alison and I angry. Plus, we discovered quite a bit of mold in the bathroom. There were also other things that we found out that has disturbed us, so now we are trying to think of what to do.

On Friday, I got up and my throat itched making me think I am coming down with something. It wasn't too bad, but it made me nervous. It was Alison's day off, so we wanted to go out and do something, but as soon as we walked in the kitchen, there was oil on the floor, coffee on the floor, a rotten tomato on the floor, a thousand dishes, and nasty counters. We wanted to just leave and not think about it, but we couldn't, so we started to surface clean (at least pick up the food and wipe the counters and clean the dishes). We started feeling very angry that every day off we have is filled with chores. We then left the flat so we wouldn't do anything else, but of course we were talking and thinking about it a lot. We went to the Art Gallery for the first time, and the temporary exhibit they were displaying was all about nakedness and sex. They actually had videos displayed of this. We walked around a lot and sat in a cafe for a while. We were gone from 12:00-8:30. As we were heading back, we went to the sprinklers and the lights were on for the first time. I don't have the pictures yet, but will post them when I get the chance. I decided to take a shower after our day. As soon as I opened the door after my shower, our new flatmate ran up to the door and introduced himself. I had my towel, washcloth, and soaps in on hand, and my clothes (with undergarments exposed) in the other hand. I quickly tried to hide my clothes behind the door as he stood there and talked to me. I could barely focus on what he was saying, since I was surprised and not in my best after the shower. I just wanted to leave and get into bed. Too bad he didn't introduce himself at another time, when I would be more prepared. He is French and apparently does not speak that much English. We were also told that another flatmate is wanting to leave for the lack of jobs available. Her money is running out.

On Saturday, I had a mission. I decided to get as many of the books that Alison and I wanted to get. This meant I had to go to multiple libraries. The unfortunate part was that I was on a time constraint as it was Saturday and most of them close early. I went to three libraries and got most of the books that were on the list. I got 17 books, so we have a lot to read. I rode 7 buses today, so I was a busy girl. On one of the bus stops, there were two teenage girls making fun of each other. One of the girls didn't know a word and the other was making fun of her. So of course the other girl thought of a word the other girl didn't know so she could make fun of her. It sounded like quite an interesting relationship. I wanted to just tell them what the words meant so they would stop talking to each other like that. I am glad my friends haven't made fun of me when I didn't know what something was. Also, the bus driver let a couple girls off at one stop and they just missed the bus, so he told them to get back on and he would chase the bus. He did catch up to the bus, and the girls were very thankful. It is people like the bus driver who really make the day better. Even my day was better, just to see his kindness to others.

On Sunday, I felt awful. I was not achy, but I felt like I had a severe cold. I couldn't follow the sermon and was very unfocused for most of the day. After Church, Alison and I put the ingredients for Tuna Loaf, then went to the Cathedral as there was going to be an Organ Recital. We went in the Cathedral for 1/2 hour to listen to the organ practice. It was amazing. Then we went to a cafe until 6:00 and returned to the Salvation Army Church to participate in their worship. For Palm Sunday, they had a music night where their band played (Alison and I sang to a couple of the songs), and the choir sang, and we sang. It was really fun and we enjoyed it. Then we returned home, cooked dinner (very tasty) and went to bed. We also found out that on Easter, we have Daylight Saving. So we will be turning the clock back for the "Fall, back." This means that starting Sunday, we will be five hours difference than The States. This has been quite confusing.

On Monday, I got up early (as did Alison, by her own choice...sick girl). I went to work and had a pretty good day. The preschool owner said I was going to go to her house today (I forgot to write it on my calendar, and did not realize I was going to watch her kids today...my mistake). Anyway, I got her kids and took them to the bus. Unfortunately, I left my metro card (along with the library card) in my pants and did not have them with me. So it cost me extra to pay for the ride. I got to the house and when the dad came home, he showed me around. They asked me earlier if I would house sit for them while they were gone on holiday for Australia. Soooo...Alison and I get to live in their house for 10 days starting this Thursday. We are extremely excited for this. It will be our own vacation. So I returned home and Alison told me that our landlady said a person was interested in a double room and if she could show it to them. We thought this was strange for her to ask. None of us would be able to be here during that time, so we felt a little uncomfortable about it. We asked her about having a cleaning lady instead of the switch we had earlier (a movie channel and more power that we don't need). She said she would hire someone who would start Thursday and we will have to let her know how she does. It would help so much if the kitchen and bathrooms are just vacuumed and mopped. Maybe people won't be so messy. I don't know though. Anyway, we also found out the the last of the original people in the flat is thinking of moving (because so many other people are moving). That didn't make a whole lot of sense to us, since he would just move in another flat that had a whole bunch of new people, but whatever. I don't think he really will move, but we will see. Also, I got a call from a school to be a relief teacher for Tuesday and Wednesday. It took me a while to figure out what school this was, as I have not received any calls from them telling me they would put me on their list. I have been having troubling feelings about relief teaching here, and the organization of New Zealand, so I asked her how I would be paid since they have none of my information. She said she would call the principal and ask him. I got a call 1/2 hour later and she said that they would not use me, because none of them had any idea how I would be paid. They were going blindly seeing if I would sub for them, yet they didn't know how I would be paid? Now I don't want to be a relief teacher at all, because I don't trust this system. It is incredibly unorganized and frustrating.

So, that is about it for me. I think we have a couple moving in to a room. The cleaning lady is now vacuuming the hall (Hallelujah!), so that is helpful. Sorry for the long entries. Hope you enjoyed!

1 comment:

  1. Seems like payroll or the company you had to go through to get your name in as a relief teacher would know how you get paid. Interesting. Hope you are feeling better and do you get paid for housesitting? Yeah for the cleaning lady! Hope you are feeling better. Love, mom

    ReplyDelete