Friday, March 19, 2010

Many Eventful Days

Saturday, 10/03/10

Well, these past few days have been nothing short of interesting. On Wednesday, Alison and I decided to make chili (ingredients were the compliments of my mom...THANKS!!!) Unfortunately, there are no tortilla chips in this country. I think it's a crime, but we can't do anything about that I am afraid. We decided to freeze the chili, and looked around for a freezer safe container. We came across an ice cream container, so we figured it should be safe. Then, we decided to be really adventurous and make...chicken.

Now I have cooked chicken before, but cleaning raw chicken is nasty and vile. Plus, I realized that I spent most of the money on chicken fat. So frustrating when you pay by kilo and most of the weight is in fat. Well, I cut the fat and was able to borrow a crock pot from a flatmate. Actually, before I could even clean the chicken, I had to clean the sink. Dishes everywhere. Anyway, I got everything clean and then put the chicken in the crock pot. Then I had to clean the sink again, using bleach (there is no comet in this country either). Then, I set it on low and took a shower. I never feel clean after touching raw chicken unless I have a shower.

So on Thursday, I got to wake up at 6:47 again and get ready in the dark. This time it did not go very smoothly. I ended up catching my nail on something, and it ripped off...below the skin. Yeah...it hurt. So I got a band aid and hoped that I wouldn't have to worry about it the rest of the day. I got to the shuttle stop and just missed the shuttle. It is supposed to run every 10 minutes, but a shuttle didn't come by until 20 minutes. So I got to the closest stop I could and walked the rest of the way (about 35 minutes). I didn't bring the book (Outliers), and of course my lunch was quiet and lonely. I felt less stupid as I worked, but still made frequent mistakes.

I have noticed that the safety issues are quite a bit different than the States. The playground equipment would be considered hazardous in the US (especially for preschool), yet here, it is considered a learning tool. Which is difficult for me in interpreting what is actually considered dangerous here.

During the students lunch time, I tried to keep a girl from stealing food and attacking others. It was my lunch time, but no other teachers were able to help. Then I got a lecture from a teacher saying I needed to take my lunch break or else it would throw everything off. It frustrated me, because no one else was there to handle the situation, and it wasn't like I could just leave them alone.

Anyway, after work I had to go to the local grocery store (Pak-N-Save) to buy several things (our fridge is empty). I was weighted down quite a bit, but fortunately the shuttle was right there when I needed to board. Then I made the last stop and had to waddle all the way back to the flat. My shoulders felt like they were coming out of their sockets. It wasn't pleasant. Then I walked to the back of the house where most of the flatmates would be, and of course today, no one was there. So I squeezed everything through the window and desperately looked for my keys. As soon as I walked in, someone came home. Well, then I put everything away.

Alison and I took out the chicken. It was a little dry, especially the top which was where the cream of chicken was placed. So the cream of chicken was caked on the top. We decided to make vegetables and rice. Well, I put too much water for the rice (I was reading the label of another rice packet), so we ended up cooking the whole packet of rice. We had a lot of rice, chicken, and veggies.

We also decided to make lemonade. We had lemon juice and a couple sugar packets. Unfortunately, we used the sugar packets and not enough lemon juice, so it tasted like watery lemon aftertaste interestingness. Don't know how else to describe it. Yes...we drank it.

Although, my chicken was so dry, I poured some lemonade stuff on my chicken. It started mixing with everything, so I mixed everything up to make a chicken casserole. It tasted quite good actually.

Friday, I got up at 6:37, so I could make the 7:30 shuttle. I made it on time, got dropped off, and walked the rest of the way. All the way, I was reading Outliers. I made it to the preschool, and had a decent day, but I was VERY busy the whole time. I didn't feel like I had any time to think. Just do.

There were several issues with the children, as to be expected. Also, I tried to keep my band aide on my finger, but I kept having to wash something: dishes, paint, art stuff...So it kept coming off. I had to get another band aide. I did get paid though...HALLELUJAH!!! Then I read Outliers back and finished it. I recommend it to anyone who is interested in social psychology.

It also gave me interesting insight...I think. It talked about PDI (power Distance index). Well, basically that is talking about responses to authority. Such as how people treat, speak, value, react to people with authority. The higher the PDI, the more respect (for lack of better word) the authority gets. The lower the PDI...well, I think you get it. I'm sure there is a better way of explaining this, but my point is, there were 50 countries that were listed. The highest PDI was Brazil and South Korea. The third to last in the PDI was the United States (surprised anyone?). And the bottom of the list...New Zealand. Interesting, huh? I wanted to research that a bit more, but I haven't had the time yet.

Anyway, we made the chicken/rice/veggie casserole again and were quite pleased, but realised we were running out of chicken. No more casserole for us. I set up the chicken for enchiladas.

Oh, but I forgot to mention something that happened earlier. I heard a noise like rustling, and it made me think there was some kind of creature in our room. I envisioned a tarantula rummaging around in my chocolate, but the drawer was shut. Although, I noticed a hole in the bag, where my chocolate is kept, and something that looked like droppings in the bag. Kind of scary and disturbing. We put all of our chocolate in a sealed (non chewable) container.

So today...finally. I got up and did some laundry. Then I decided to vacuum our floor. I couldn't find the cord and started asking around. Then I discovered it was attached to the vacuum, in a secure and unique location. I felt stupid. Anyway, I turned it on, and it made a horrible noise and wouldn't suck up anything. So I thought maybe the bag was too full. So I took the bag out and realised I would have to pry my fingers through this tiny hole and drag whatever was in the bag out.

It was nasty with tons of hair, dust, and other vile things floating through the air. I finished cleaning it out and feeling completely nasty. I put it back in the vacuum and turned it on. Nothing changed. All that...for nothing. Figures.

Anyway, it is 3:30 and the day isn't over yet. I am sure much more can happen. It has been quite difficult typing all of this with a band aide still on my finger. It gets annoying, because I am making many mistakes with it on. Okay, I am going to go now. I meet Alison in an hour. Enjoy the rest of your day!

3 comments:

  1. Maybe the mouse from the chocolate got into the vacuum. Love you, mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I envisioned a tarantula rummaging around in my chocolate..."-- Too funny! Made laugh! -SPB

    ReplyDelete
  3. Try cleaning the bottom of the vacuum... icky... but if there is hair around the beater brush... it won't rotate and pick up debris! If you can get the beater brush all cleaned off... should work much better!

    Sounds like things are looking up... and the work at the preschool sounds like good work experience... and crazy busy!

    Miss you lots...

    ReplyDelete