Tuesday, December 7, 2010

26 November to the Present. Finally!

Friday 26 November 2010


I had a nice walk to work today. I really enjoy walking.


Today, a big event was Alison and my attempt to make pumpkin pie. People here don't understand and are actually quite appalled by the idea of making pumpkin into a pie. We wanted to educate Anne and Alister. The problem was, they don't carry pumpkin in a can here, and we hear it just isn't the same with a fresh pumpkin. We obviously had to make it out of scratch. We didn't anticipate having to make the crust out of scratch. We made the crust first. Alison was able to find canned squash, and we put all the ingredients together. It turned out to be a brown colour instead of orange (which apparently, both colours are strange to the Kiwis). We were a bit nervous about it.


Anyway, we let them cool as we got ready to go to 7-up (a kids program for Church). They were going carolling. We got to talk to several people and I met many different kids I have never seen before. There was a little boy who always wanted to sit next to me. There was another cute boy who would ask me random questions like, "Do you like Hot Chocolate?" We went to two people's houses and sang to them. There were three groups of kids and the band split up into three groups. So we sang with one group. The songs were really high, so it was interesting trying to get all the notes properly. It was also interesting trying to get the kids in order. Then we went back to the Church and looked around the Hall. The kids were fascinated with all the decorations. It was really cute. Then we went home and kind of crashed.


Saturday 27 November 2010


We got up later and ate lunch. Then Alison and I went walking. We had plans to meet up with a couple from Church to go to Coca Cola Christmas in the Park. It is a yearly event where concerts are held. We went on a bus that was PACKED. The route was different, so we got off and walked. The couple ended up not showing up, so we stayed a while, and then left. There were two parts of the concert. The first was all about Christmas songs. The second part is entertaining the younger audience. There were HEAPS of people, so we left after the first half. We had to wait a LONG time for the bus to show up. When it showed up, it smelled badly of BO. We felt sick. It took longer than normal. People were very strange on the bus. One guy bought a whole thing of beer and was wobbling down the bus. We got off and heard what sounded like a rubbish bin hitting the walkway. We realised it was fireworks. We both LOVE fireworks and were really sad we didn't know they were going off. If we had, we would have stayed longer. At least we got to see them through the houses.


Sunday 28 November 2010


Today was Mainly Music Sunday. There were kids running up and down the platform at all times. It was cute when a kid got to conduct the band. We met an American couple from Michigan. They were really sweet. They said they have been looking for a Church. When they came in, they were looking for how people welcomed them and how they fellowship with each other. Well, they have come ever since and are now both in Songsters and Brass Band. We understand their enthusiasm for being involved.


Monday 29 November 2010


Today was a hard day. Sorry, but I am not ready to talk about it yet.


Tuesday 30 November 2010


Uneventful again.


Wednesday 1 December 2010


First day of Summer! It was a pretty good day today.


Thursday 2 December 2010


So, I haven't mentioned this in my blog, but there has been a major disaster here in New Zealand. A mine in Greymouth had an explosion. Well, it actually had four explosions. 29 men were down there. One had a fiance. Another was going to be a first time dad. Another was only 17 and wasn't even supposed to work then. Because of all these explosions, there is no way any of them could have survived. So today, there was a memorial service. The entire nation recognised two minutes of silence at 2:00 pm to remember these men who died in the mine. Restaurants were silent (Alison was working). Our preschool was not completely silent, but did pretty well considering. It was a touching time.


Alison has an interview tomorrow for a company. I really hope she does well.


Friday 3 December 2010


Today was fine at work, and then I had a meeting with my boss. I am still not ready to go into detail about why, but I guess it went okay. Alison is not sure how her interview went. We are both a little confused.


Saturday 4 December 2010


I had a lot of trouble sleeping. I guess I have a lot on my mind. Anne, Alister, Alison, and I went to the French Market and looked around. There were a LOT of people there. Then Alison and I went to town and got a few things. then we went to the Gardens and enjoyed the day.


Sunday 5 December 2010


We left early. Alison and I went to a cafe and I saw one of my co-workers there. So Alison finally got to meet someone from my work. Several people from Church told me they were thinking about me. It has been a big struggle. I just feel so confused.

Today was 7-up Sunday. A guy from Tall Blacks (a New Zealand basketball team) came. He is the son of a couple from our Church. I felt like I was meeting someone famous.


After Church, there was a luncheon. Alison and I helped clean up and talk to parents and kids. We were quite the busy little bees running to and fro. We were constantly moving. Today is the Santa Parade, and the Salvation Army Brass Band was on a float (as well as some of the kids). So everyone left the Church either to help drive people to the starting point, or to get a good spot to watch the parade. All except Alison and I. We were finishing up the dishes and made sure the Church was safe. Then Anne came, and we got chairs and picked out a spot to watch the parade. The parade was kind of like the Rose Parade with all the floats and advertisements. There were several bands and cultural floats. The Band was toward the end and went by way too quickly. It was fun to see everything and experience a New Zealand Christmas event. We went back to the Church after it was over and helped set up a Manger Scene. Then we went back home around 4:00 pm. It had been a long, but good day.

Monday 6 December 2010

It was supposed to be 17 degrees, but ended up being over 30. So it was ridiculously hot! We were having trouble being outside. Then, all of a sudden, it got really cold. It happened within an hour. It was crazy. We had a meeting after work, which ended up being longer than normal. So I was really tired.

I came home to an empty house. Anne and Alister were away, and Alison went on a trip to Nelson. She will be gone a couple days.

Tuesday 7 December 2010

It was raining, but I still walked to work. The problem was, my umbrella is completely warped. At one point, the wind blew really hard and turned it inside out. It went back to the right place, but the little metal parts completely came undone. I thought I could figure out a way to put it together, but it is toast. I had to take care of a really sick child. She was wailing and was holding her head and shaking. She eventually calmed down and went to sleep by the time her mother got there.

I got home to an empty house again. I am kind of feeling lonely! I got a lot done (particularly on my blogging).

Wednesday 8 December 2010

Hurray! I am finally caught up! Today was fine. I had to deal with a big injury today, and there was a lot of screaming from a particular child, but I dealt with it.

Now, I am sitting and catching up with my blog. Then I will go to Songsters and have the big practise. That is about it. I am so relieved!

No comments:

Post a Comment