Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Trying to Adjust

Monday 6 September 2010

We had several aftershocks. We have been told that we could have an aftershock as big as 6.1. The 7.4 magnitude earthquake has been scaled down to 7.1. I don't know how that works.

We all went for lunch today for the Civil Defense. Alister and Anne went to check the Hope Centre, so Alison and I were basically in charge. It was kind of strange to be in charge. For one thing, we had to constantly tell people to register before getting food, but the food is the first thing people see when they walk through the door. The reception is down at the other end. The set up was not done well.

Plus, there were several boys that were coming in and taking the food. At first, nothing seemed strange, but we realised later that they were taking advantage of free food and bringing their friends with them. They pretended to be looking for their mums, but they were looking in rubbish bins and chairs, just being obnoxious. They were finally scared away when someone threatened to call the police. Also, one of the Civil Defense areas (there are three total) had an outbreak of gastro illness something or other. Basically, they were contaminated. There could be several reasons, but one could be that the water was not boiled long enough. Also, food was not distributed properly. Things were not covered, people just took the food by touching it, people weren't using the sanitiser...So, now we were extra cautious with the food.

Alison and I were the only people working at the tables, but many times, Alison had to wash dishes or make coffee, so I was manning the tables by myself. The problem was, the tables are long and it is hard to keep people from touching the food on one end when I am on the other. We had signs everywhere and constantly told people to let us give the food to them, but some people were too quick. I had to move lots of food over to one section so that I could watch the people closer. The people who had the worst time following directions were the EMT people. Figures!

It was busier today, more than the other two days. A while later, three dental surgeons came in and helped. They were going to work, but found out they were not allowed to enter the building. So they came here instead. They came to me, so I told them exactly what to do and how to do it. It made my job a lot easier. Everyone who came in the place came to me first and I had to tell them what to do, and I had to make decisions for food being brought in. It wasn't something I was used to. I'm not usually the one in charge. It was stressing me out, so I was glad when Anne and Alister came back so that I could go outside to put something away. I needed some fresh air or something. Alison came with me. When we came back, there was a man on the floor who passed out. Apparently, he did not take his medication.

So it was quite a busy day today. Quite exhausting, but what else is new (lately anyway).

No comments:

Post a Comment