Saturday, September 11, 2010

Recovering from the Rain...Kind of

Friday 3 September 2010

Today, I tried to sleep in, but there is so much noise here. I have been awake since 7:00. At 9:00, one of my roommates and I got up and went down to get free breakfast. I had my first crumpets. Sorry, but it was disgusting. Then I went outside to explore Nelson before heading back to Christchurch tomorrow. Originally, I wanted leave Nelson today to go to Franz and Fox Glaciers, and then return to Christchurch on Sunday. The problem was, Sunday is Father's Day in New Zealand. Alister has kind of become a father to me, to I really wanted to be there to celebrate it with him. So I cut my trip short a day.

I went outside and walked along the river. I walked in the opposite direction from Wednesday. I went under several bridges and tried to make sure I wouldn't bang my head against them. I was trying to go where there aren't as many people, because I had to wear my pyjamas. I only brought one pair of trousers and they were soaked. The only option was to wear my pyjamas. I sat and started to journal along the river (Maitai). I took my jerseys, journal, book, and anything else that was wet and set them out on the bench. It was sunny and warm, so they did start drying off. A dog went behind the bench I was sitting on and wet the tree. Then he proceeded to go in front of me to relieve himself. Twice! I must have made a good impression on him or something!
I noticed it was starting to get cloudy. So I started walking along. It was really beautiful. Then...it started raining. I started running for cover under a bridge. These are the only clothes I had that were not wet. So I really didn't want them to get wet. I continued ducking and running under bridges, trying to dodge the rain. It was not easy, and I did get wet, but not soaked.
I made it to the hostel. As soon as I went to my room, it was bright and the sun was out. I started toward the door thinking it was okay, and immediately, there was a downpour. So I just gave up and read my book.
So the first picture you see is along the river. The second picture is all my stuff drying out.

No comments:

Post a Comment