Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Damage Continues

Tuesday 7 September 2010

At 11:30 pm and 11:45 pm, we had the biggest aftershocks since the quake. There were others around 3:00 am. So we did not get much sleep...again. The Civil Defense area we went to had to close, because the aftershocks condemned the building. Now we are down to two centres. Anne, Alison, and I brought biscuits (cookies) to the neighbors.

Then we came back and I got a ride to my work. Most of the buses are still down in the city, so I couldn't take the bus to work. The meeting was first to discuss our feelings and what was happening. Then we set up for school for tomorrow. I was in charge of boiling water. Boxes and tables were moved together so that kids can crawl under them during a major aftershock.

During this time, I got a phone call from an airline telling me they were cancelling a ticket from Australia. The reception was bad, so I could not understand her. I told her to email the information to me, and she said she would. She never did. So Alison and I have to figure out what flight was cancelled.

One thing I have not mentioned is that, ever since the quake, Alister's mobile, Anne's mobile, and the house phone have not stopped ringing. They all seem to ring at the same time. Alister had to talk on two phones at the same time at one point. Alison got a picture of that, so I will have to load it sometime along with other pictures.

So, we actually have a trip tomorrow. We are going to Dunedin. We planned this a while ago, and already had tickets. The problem is, we don't want to go anymore. It feels strange to be leaving all this. We shortened our trip by a day (sound familiar?), but we wanted to shorten it even more. Actually we wanted to move the whole trip, but this is the only time we could go.

I found out that none of the schools in Christchurch will open until Monday. I think there was a lot of worry about the water contamination, and a lot of nervous parents. Alison's work is damaged. It is in the city centre, and we passed by and saw a pile of bricks and a sign that says "Danger!" She will not work until Monday either.

Well, we don't know what to expect here on out. All we can say is that we hope nothing major happens while we are gone, because we do not want to be stuck in Dunedin!

No comments:

Post a Comment