Monday, April 12, 2010

House Sitting Days

Monday 12 April 2010

So I know I am getting worse and worse about updating this blog. It has been a little difficult to update when I have been house sitting. I have not had Internet, so the only way to get the Internet was to go back to the flat. It is not a close walk to the flat. Over 40 minutes. I have been interrupted here and there with the workers. I have had to answer the door, but they actually have their own key; so I haven't needed to let them in. Basically, when they come in, I go out. I don't like hanging around with a bunch of workers singing quite loudly or whistling quite loudly.

When I haven't been working, I have been walking around in the Gardens, or going to the library (especially when it is cold), or going to a cafe with Alison. I actually have been working more, so I haven't had that much time to be wandering around.

When I got up for work, I had to leave two hours early to get to work on time. Two times, I have had to run in Hagley Park (which is also part of a golf course). I actually enjoyed it. I haven't ran since I left (almost three months ago) and it felt good, even though it wasn't very far. It has been dark when I left the house, and when I go through the park, the sun starts rising and there is a really low mist that can be seen over the grass. It is quite beautiful...and freezing! My legs were so cold, it felt like they would fall off. I ran to keep a little warm.

At one point, Alison went to a work party and actually slept in the flat. So I had the whole house to myself. It was interesting having the whole place to myself. The TV is HUGE! We were excited to see some movies on it, but they had three remotes. We could not see any of our movies, because they were not the right format or something. Alison had a few movies she bought in London, so we saw those. Then we rented movies from the library. They had three remotes and it was torturous trying to figure out how to use all of them. I tried one thing after the other. It wasn't until our last day there that I finally figured out how to turn the volume down. There were a couple of times we had to cover our ears, since it was so stinkin loud!

Work has been good, but I am just under the impression that common sense is relative. There have been so many times that I have tried to prevent a catastrophe, and each time, someone stops me because it is a learning thing. So I feel like just stopping, but then I feel like a bump on the log, when I should be preventing something. Then they try and run to stop whatever is happening, and I figure I should not intervene. It is frustrating trying to interpret what is good and what should be stopped.

One of the girls in the preschool wanted to give me cuddles (a hug) when I was going home. Then she walked all the way to the window to say goodbye to me. It was so cute!

Also at work, I was "trained" to do nappies (diaper changes). It wasn't the most pleasant thing I have had to do. There is quite the system, and I had to mark everything of every child. I find it interesting what the preschool does in terms of records.

One day, my contacts fell in the sink and I could not get them back. So I had to wear my glasses that entire day, since I didn't have extras with me. By the end of the day, I had quite the headache. It was not fun. Plus, we set the house alarm off that day. We had a controller to disarm the house alarm, but it was not working properly. So the house alarm went off, and I frantically tried to push the button to stop it. After several pushes, it finally stopped. It scared us both to death. It was so LOUD. Apparently, one of the workers set off the alarm as well. It hasn't been easy dealing with these electronic things we are not used to.

Leaving the house was quite sad. We packed up and cleaned up around the house. We then walked back to our flat, emptied everything, and put everything away. Then we walked to Church for service. After Church, we got souvlakis. I finally got the lamb, and it was quite tasty. We went to the Gardens, because the other day, I discovered a book that I wanted. It was on a bench, but I didn't want to take it, it someone else was going to come back for it. I waited a day, then went back. It was still there, so I assumed no one was coming back for it. So it is mine! I finished the book Into the Wild. I also saw the movie. I became thoroughly depressed. No I am reading Blink. I have to say, I have loved reading Malcolm Gladwell. I want to read the rest of his books, but they are always checked out. I am keeping an eye on them though.

Today, work was fun. I met the preschool owner and her daughters. I got to take her daughters home by the buses again. We then met the rest of the family at the house. It was fun to see and talk to them again. They are a really nice family! Then I walked home and am actually looking for return tickets for home. Alison and I have discussed it for a while. We have been going back and forth for quite some time. I think we will be going back sometime mid November. We are not totally set in stone, and more than likely, we will not get the same flights. We have an estimate, and we will see how it goes.

Well, now that I am all caught up again, I am exhausted, and feel like going to bed soon. I am quite tired. I am going to work at least 4 days this week and the following three weeks. So I am almost working full time.

Well, goodnight and good luck!

2 comments:

  1. I would love to see a picture of the low mist in the park in the morning. I would also love to take a book and not read with you in the park, because we are so busy talking and drinking in the beauty. You may be home for Christmas. That would be so cool--well, warm may be a better word. Your house people will have to leave again now that you have things figured out. I love you. Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Home for Christmas.....I can't wait! :)

    ReplyDelete