Thursday, April 29, 2010

Happenings

Friday 30 April 2010

Well, my days have been pretty much the same for work. I have had a few incidents though. So I always take the 7:30 shuttle. It takes me about 15 minutes to walk to the stop. One time, as soon as I walked on the bus, a lady was talking. It was evident that she had been talking for some time. At first I thought she was rambling to herself, but she was speaking to the bus driver (and everyone else who would listen). The bus driver got tired of talking to her, and stopped answering her incessant talking. She asked frequently, "I'm not talking to myself am I bus driver?" She went on and on about dish washers and bus drivers should be ruling the country and that the country is controlling everyone. She talked about how the government has been making them do things even to the point of wearing a particular colour, because they say you have to wear that colour. She said that if people voice their opinion, they are considered crazy, but she will be heard and will show the world what is what, not by guns or violence, but by peace and love. She also said how Americans dump all their junk in this country and la dee da on Americans. I made it a point not to say a word, lest she hear my accent. She also talked a lot about alcoholics and how they need to be taken care of. I thought that was ironic, since I definitely smelled a lot of alcohol in her direction. She had a very interesting one-sided conversation. I was quite glad to get off.

After the shuttle stop, I have about 30 minutes to walk to work. During that walk, I pray, then read. People (kids and teachers) have told me that they see me walking and reading. They don't exactly make fun of me...but then again, they kind of do.

Work has been interesting. There have been good days...and there have been THOSE days. One of THOSE days was yesterday. Let's just say that one of the workers got sick all over her (she was puked on), a girl had wees twice and we had to clean it and clean her (actually, there have been numerous accidents, but these have been MAJOR accidents). There have been more and more injuries. Several kids have been sick. There have been better days, too, but those aren't as exciting to read about, I am sure. I was commended for teaching a few kids the Patience Song (that my mom taught me when I was little). I was also commended for a lesson I taught a group of kids. I was glad it was a good group time, because I have had kids run out of the room, and I have to chase them down. There are some interesting children.

Also, I was told that I might find out my schedule for work. I have been working four days a week for three weeks (this week I got five days), and I have one more week left of four days a week. After that, I didn't have a schedule. I heard there was a girl the preschool was interested in, but they weren't sure whether they would hire her or not. I wasn't too hopeful for more work, but I was asked yesterday if I would be okay work working 2 days a week until September. I said yes. I wasn't sure if that meant until the end of August or the end of September. I asked today and found out they weren't sure yet, because they are still working things out, but it looks like I may have a job until at least the end of July and probably August, but possibly September. I know, kind of confusing, but I will take what I can get. Also, I asked about switching days so that I could get two days a week in a row, so that it would be easier to travel. The preschool owner said she would ask someone. I am a little hopeful. I hope I will get it even if just for the time my mom will be visiting me. It will make traveling easier for us.

After work, I come home to do a couple things before dinner. Then comes preparation for dinner and interaction with the flatmates. So one day, Alison and I were going to prepare dinner, and the kitchen was a complete mess. One of our flatmates, and several of his friends decided, to go on a baking frenzy. There were muffins and chocolate cake, about a hundred dirty dishes in the sink and everywhere else, and flour and other food everywhere. We didn't have any place to put anything, and we were preparing a meal (not left overs). So we had to set stuff on the fridge and in obscure places so we could put things together. I ran into a couple of dishes and sent them clattering to the floor. At that point, the flatmate came out and apologized. He said he would clean it up. We believed him, as he has been good about cleaning (he was the one that cleaned the oven with acid. Wow, it made a difference...although, the difference didn't last long with every flatmate). He did clean it up.

We have had several people looking at the empty room. The last person seemed to want it, but that was kind of a strange situation. The landlady texted Alison to open the door for him. We did, but he wasn't there. When we asked a flatmate if anyone came in, he said the person came, but left. He apparently wanted to meet all the flatmates, but I never saw him. He kept coming in and out of the flat, but would only stay for a few seconds. Every time we went out to meet him, he was gone. It was strange. If he does move in, that makes four guy flatmates...and us.

The last thing to mention, is that Alison and I have reserved a flight to Australia. We are really excited about it. We will be there for a little less than a month. So that gives us a little time to explore what we can.

Well, I guess that is about it for the update. Until next time...

1 comment: