Friday, November 19, 2010

Finding Things To Do

Tuesday 19 October 2010

We went to bed pretty early so we could get up early today, just to get out of the hostel. We hoped the girls would not be noisy coming in during the night, but the air conditioner sounds like the Apocalypse, so it blocked out a lot of other sounds. I woke up a couple times thinking it was an appropriate time that I could get up. The first time, it was 3:00 am. The next time it was 4:00 am. The third time it was 5:54 am. We got up just after 6:00. We got ready really fast and practically ran out the door. The bathroom had no toilet paper. A couple girls in our room never bring the key, so the girls would constantly knock on the door. After we left, we realised they just leave the door unlocked all the time. Sounds safe...

We walked to the water and found a lagoon we could swim in. They have a lagoon, because the beach has crocodiles in it. There were so many people exercising, doing yoga, or who knows what else. We saw some unique positions that probably should not be shown in public, but what do I know...

We went back to the room, unfortunately, to change into our togs. We got our food (stale chips and salsa), and walked to the lagoon. It was really cold, but I was determined and went all the way in and waded. As soon as we were in the water, the clouds started rolling in. It got really cold, so we got out and sat on a bench to eat our food. Then we started walking around. We noticed an incredible amount of bicyclists and asked a policeman if something was going on. He said it was a famous three day track from Cairns to Cook (something) Marathon for bikes and people all over the world participate. How very cool.

We walked around and it got really hot. I got pretty toasted. Then we went to a cafe for lunch and had a pretty amazing sandwich. Our first real meal in a long time. Around 2:30 pm, we walked around again, and noticed EVERYONE was laying out in the grass. It was kind of a strange sight. I guess, since the beaches are infested with crocodiles, they lay out on the grass.

We walked along the boardwalk, that was built so you wouldn't go on the beaches. It was really beautiful. We got notice that one of our flights got changed. Oh the joy! While we were eating dinner, a lady was leading some kind of aerobics thing outside. She had a microphone and was really loud. She told them what to do, but after every 30 seconds or so, she would go "Woo!" Alison and I would mimic her a lot and laugh.

We got to our room and tried to sleep. My bed slants to the right quite a bit. I feel like I have a 30% grave on my bed. It is ridiculous. I have my own miniature Baldwin Street! It makes sleeping interesting. I have all my luggage on my bed, because I don't trust our roommates. There is not a whole lot of room here.

Well, I am super excited about tomorrow. I am about to complete on of my biggest dreams of swimming in the Great Barrier Reef! Oooooooooooooooo!!!!

So, I am not exactly sure when I will be able to put up pictures anymore. The Internet here is slow again, so I may have to wait. Sorry for prolonging things!

No comments:

Post a Comment