Friday, June 4, 2010

Nasty Surprises

Sat. 5 June 2010

I have to say that I have been doing pretty good keeping up with my blog this week. Not that anyone is reading it anymore.

I just wanted to share a couple of amusing stories that have happened. First off happened at work. Someone made pikelets (mini pancakes) for morning tea. I got to do morning tea and was distributing the pikelets. There were three types of sauces (I guess) to put on the pikelets. Honey, jam, or chocolate. So I would the kids would ask me to pass one of the three items and put the sauce on themselves (sometimes with my help). One girl wanted the chocolate and needed my help. I helped her and found that a little of the chocolate got on my finger. So at the end of morning tea, I licked it off. DEFINITELY NOT CHOCOLATE!!!! It was marmite with a yeast base like what they put in beer. It is a New Zealand (and Australian) thing. They love it and eat it like candy. It is VILE! There are three forms. marmite, promite (or something like that), and vegemite. All three are horrible. Apparently the only difference is that marmite is sweeter than vegemite and promite is sweeter than marmite. There was no sweetness that I could detect. Only nastiness.

Now with the second story. So last night, after coming back from being outside (it was finally sunny), I got ready for my shower. I finished, but then one of my flip flops broke. Completely unusable now. This is a really bad thing, because I walk all over the house in these flip flops. I never want my feet touching the floor in the flat. So then I resolved to fix the shoe somehow. The problem is, we are low on resources. We have no string, and we have no tape. Even if we had string, I really don't know how we could cut it unless it was with a knife. So, I did the only thing I could do. I used plasters (Band-Aids). I used two of them. Believe it or not, it worked. I have no idea how long it lasts, but for now, it is working just fine.

So there are my two stories. Besides this, we have been slowly thinking of the places we want to visit in Australia and trying to come up with some kind of format of where and when to go. We will see how that goes. Anyway, after all the Australia talk, we decided to watch Finding Nemo. Just a side note.

Anyway, I am actually going to a party tonight. Today is one of my co-workers birthday. She invited me to go to her dinner party celebration, so I am going to be going in just a little while. Other than that, I have nothing more to say except enjoy the heat! It is quite cold down here!!!

4 comments:

  1. I'm still reading your blog, Mandy! I read it religously. I love hearing about all of your experiences....and the strange food.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm still reading it!

    -SPB

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm reading too!

    CAF

    ReplyDelete
  4. We diehards read on. When there is something to read that is. Thanks for the warning on things that look like chocolate. Do you need flipflops? Love, mom

    ReplyDelete