Monday, June 21, 2010

A Little Down

Monday 21 June 2010

Today is one of those really sad days for being out of the country. I feel like I am missing out on life in the States. Life is going on without me. I know it is true, but I feel worse about it now.

Today, one of my best friends got married. I was so sad not to be there and share in her special day. Alicia, congratulations, and I wish all the best for you and your husband!

The other thing that has been really hard is that today is Father's Day. Well, it was yesterday for me, but it's all the same. It is hard not to be able to talk to Dad, or even Grandpa or Papa. I really missed them today.

I decided to do something about Father's Day, though. I bought my mom's favourite candy bar (since my dad's favourite candy bar was not available) and went to the captain. I told him that it is Father's Day in America (it is a different day in New Zealand), and because he was my adoptive father, I wished him a Happy Father's Day. Then I gave him a Snickers bar. Fortunately, he said it was one of his favourites. It made me feel a bit better.

Today was all in all a not so good day. Along with missing Alicia's wedding, the children were screaming all day. One kid started ripping one of my earrings through the skin (not all the way through, but enough), so it is quite sore.

There were several things that happened that helped the day. I got a couple extra hours at work by baby sitting. I got several emails from people. My friend Daisy sent me pictures of Alicia's wedding, so that helped.

Well, now to share stuff that happened before today. Life at the Captain's couldn't be better. Alison and I meet each other and walk home. Just as get home, dinner is ready. They are such amazing and wonderful people. I don't know how we have survived without them!

I got an extra day last week for work. On Saturday, Alison and I got to see the Scotland Symphony Orchestra. It was fun, but long. At one point, we thought they were done, but they weren't. It was just intermission. There was a world famous violinist from the States. After he finished playing, he received a 10 minute applause. It was kind of ridiculous. At the end, we ran to the bus stop, and the bus we wanted was no where near the stop. So we took another bus. It was quite late by the time we got back.

Yesterday, I did a lot of Christmas, birthday, and random present shopping. I was able to get everything I wanted, so now I am all finished with presents. I feel quite relieved about that. Now I have to figure out how to pack everything.

So that is all for me up to this point. Hopefully tomorrow will be looking up.

1 comment:

  1. What you did for the Captain was so sweet. I'm all misty eyed. I notice you have picked up some NZ spelling. Love, mom

    ReplyDelete