Monday, March 7, 2011

The Ultimate Deja Vu

From Last Post To Wednesday 23 Feb. 2011

It is sickening how much has happened since my last post. Well, I had a wonderful time being home as I have said in my last post. I tried hard to decide what I was going to do. Do I go back to Christchurch? Do I stay home?

I had a major conversation with my brother, who seemed to understand my feelings better than I did. As we drove around, he asked what I was planning on doing. I told him I didn't make any decision yet (a statement I repeated several times to family and friends). My heart was in Christchurch, but my logic was in California. What to do, what to do? Anyway, Kevin asked if I was leaning more towards going back than staying. This was the first time that I really admitted out loud that I was.

A few days later, I had a major conversation with my mom. I told her that I was really leaning toward going back. She was quiet for a while and asked about the earthquake we had in September. I told her that was part of the reason for me going back. Not that I would be much help, but I was able to participate in helping in small ways here and there. I talked on and on about the Church and how it was wonderful being involved (when I have been going to different churches trying to figure out where to go back at home). I loved the people. All of them are so special to me. During my conversation, I finally admitted that, although I am the logical person, my desire was too great to push down.

The next day, I applied for a visa. It took a little while to process. I had to go through an x-ray and a medical exam. Both were very frustrating, as neither of the places filled out the paperwork properly. I had to go back several times to tell them what they missed and what they messed up on. Even then, there were some things they refused to complete. I worried I wouldn't get the visa in time for my flight (I had to get a ticket to and from NZ in order to apply for the visa).

It all worked out well, and I got my visa late January. So, on the night of my flight (Monday, 21 Feb. 2011), I was with my Aunt, Uncle, and Mom playing games. Right as we were going to leave, we got a call. It was from Jim (a close friend) telling my mom that Christchurch had a big earthquake closer to the city and one person had died. He told her that I shouldn't go for at least a couple weeks. My mom hung up the phone and told me. I started feeling sick with worry. I knew Alison, Anne, Alister, and many people I knew worked in the CBD. There was no way to contact them.

My mom started moving as if to leave and asked, "So, what do you want to do?" I looked up at her guiltily realising the impact of my answer.

"I want to go back."

She smiled nervously and said, "I knew you were going to say that.

So we took off to the airport. The ride was very quiet. We ate in the airport, although I wasn't hungry whatsoever. I knew it wasn't going to be an easy flight, and I had no idea what I would come back to.

The pilot mentioned Christchurch quite a few times, but I had a noisy flight. I couldn't hear what he was saying.

As soon as I touched ground in Auckland, I went through immigration and security. As soon as I told immigration I was going to Christchurch, he raised his eyebrows and said, "You know they had an earthquake, right?" I said yes and asked if the airport was open. He said it was closed this morning, but he wasn't sure about now. I got my bags and went to airport information to ask them if the Christchurch airport was open. They had no idea, and couldn't contact the domestic airport for some reason. It was frustrating.

As soon as I was able to turn on my phone, I texted Alison to see if they were okay. She said, "Yes, but it's really bad." She had tried to call my US cell to tell me, but I was already gone.

I got a shuttle to go into Auckland city. I had to go to an orientation. The visa I got required me to attend a 3 hour orientation to tell me all about NZ. That was a joke. It was three hours of culture differences, phrases, how to set up a bank account and IRD #, and what places to visit. There was absolutely no reason for me to be there and the presenters would ask me questions of what I did. When they would mention Christchurch, they would say, "Well, you don't want to go there for several months..." "Oh, don't go to Christchurch yet..." I was the only idiot wanting to get into Christchurch. Everyone else was scared of it.

After the orientation, I tried to figure out if my flight into Christchurch was cancelled or delayed. I was able to get free Internet access. I found out my flight was on time, so I had several hours to search and walk until I could get to the airport. I saw then that the earthquake was a 6.3 with a depth of 5 km. 75 people had been killed and 300 people were missing. I saw a little bit of the destruction and felt sick again. I knew Anne, Alister, and Alison were alive, but there are so many people I care for that I knew nothing about. I called Mom to tell her what I knew and tell her I was fine and in Auckland.

I was on my way to the airport and received a call. Alison was trying to talk to me, but it was hard to hear her on the shuttle. She told me that Anne, Alister, and Lynly were at the Church when it happened and had a hard time breathing from all the dust. She said she had gotten a ride part way home, but there were so many holes and there was so much liquefaction and water that covered up the holes. Cars were falling in the holes and getting stuck. She had to walk in ankle deep water and Anne and Alister walked in knee deep water. Anne and Alister's cars were stuck in a car park and there was liquefaction running through the Church. The door wouldn't close. The house has lots of cracks. There is no electricity, water, or sewage.

I went to the airport and got through fine. The plane that arrived was from Christchurch to Auckland. I think I saw one of my former co-workers exit the plane. When I boarded, there was hardly anyone on it. It was a full flight, so obviously, people got too scared. It's understandable, I guess. When you don't have anyone to run to, there is no reason to go to go there when it is unstable and uncertain. I had a whole family I needed to see, so I needed to get there...tonight.

The flight attendants were very blase about the whole thing. They didn't even mention the quake. All the passengers were talking to each other. Strangers were asking each other if their family and friends were okay. It was a complete repeat of my Nelson trip. Everyone pulled together and comforted each other. Just like the Nelson trip, as we arrived, everyone craned their necks to look out the window. The silence was eerie and almost unbearable. The landing brought relief as well as weariness and uncertainty.

I got through customs quickly and rushed to the stairs. I saw Alison first and then Alister. I went as quickly as I could. Alison gave me a big hug. Then Alister gave me a big fatherly hug. Then, I met Sarah (another boarder). We got my luggage, and then I was sent to the bathroom to use it and wash my hands. This was the last time I was able to use the water.

Because we didn't have electricity, water, or sewage, we went to Anne's sister's house. She had all three, but water is very scarce. We are back to boiling water at least three minutes or drinking bottled water. Anne gave me a big smile and a big hug. Then I hugged her sister and husband and met another couple who are staying at the house. It is a big house and quite nice. Not a lot of damage happened.

Alison, Sarah, and I were all sharing a bed (2 twin beds pushed together). We had a couple aftershocks. Everyone was a bit jumpy. In brushing our teeth, we didn't use any water until the end. We had to use the bottled water to get the toothpaste out of our mouths. We had sanitiser, but none of us used the toilet that night.

We went to bed and talked for a while. Alison and I were really tired. Sarah said she was going home (she lives near Hamilton) tomorrow. So, she was a bit excited. Alison and I were dazing. We were all about to drift off when we had another good sized aftershock...proving that it isn't over yet.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you are back blogging again. Thanks! mom

    ReplyDelete