Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Visiting and Stories

Saturday 26 February 2011

I don't remember if I mentioned this yet, but we have to brush our teeth with bottled water. The water is not safe to drink unless you boil it for at least 3 minutes. It isn't the easiest thing in the world, but I have done this last quake and while camping, so it isn't anything new to me. We headed out and went to visit people from our Church. We visited several people from Church, which was really nice.

We won't be able to go to our Church building for quite some time, so we have to meet elsewhere. We were not able to find a place to meet this Sunday. People will just go to the Church nearest their home. In knowing that, it was really good to see even a few people from our Church, as I won't get to see most of them tomorrow.

I talked to a couple people that I hadn't talked to before. They were nice visits. An older gentleman gave me a hug and kiss and said, "You are lovely!" He melted my heart. I was sad to leave.

We talked to a lady from Church who is a nurse. She actually teaches nurses, but after the quake, she was sent to the emergency room. She was telling us how horrible it was and even started crying. She is not used to that kind of work.

We heard that one of the guys from our Church organised doctors and other people to be sent into the city from the airport. He was really able to think quickly and get organised immediately.

Another guy from Church is in the search and rescue, and they are asking people to give detailed accounts of people who are missing including clothing, tattoos, anything to identify...bodies. People aren't coming out alive anymore. They are there to find anything that can show DNA of people. Bone...It is a horrible job that all of us are so grateful not to have. It's got to be traumatising work.

It was a good, but long day. I think we were all ready for some games, and sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment