Thursday, May 6, 2010

Week of Events

Thursday 6 May 2010

It has been getting colder and colder. Alison and I have been freezing during the night. Although, just when we think it is getting cold for good, we have a day like yesterday and today. It still is pretty cold in the shade, and the wind is really cold; but in the sun, it is quite hot.

I have had a full week of work, and I get to work tomorrow, too. This week and last week are the first full weeks of work I have had. The thing is, this is my last full week of work. Starting next week, I will be working two days a week. I might get more work, but as of right now, two days a week is all I get. I have applied to other jobs, but advertisements for jobs seem to be scarce.

I have had a challenge in trying to figure out what days I could work. On the schedule, I would be working Mondays and Thursdays. The thing is, I wanted to work two days in a row. This would make traveling easier. I asked, and it seemed like this would work out if another person would be willing to switch. The other person was willing to switch, but the preschool owner accidentally gave me the wrong days. So I went back and forth with her and the preschool director to get everything straightened out. This took me the whole week to finally get it sorted out. So now, the plan is, I will be working on Mondays and Tuesdays starting next week. So I was finally able to email my mom so she can work on flights to come to New Zealand!

There really isn't a whole lot to report on for this week, except for Sunday. Alison and I went to Church and after the service, the pastor (Captain) and his wife asked us what we were doing next Sunday. We said we didn't have any plans. They wanted to invite us over for Lunch. As all of you hopefully know, next Sunday is Mother's Day. The pastor's wife said, "Our children won't be around, and your mother's aren't here." They wanted to celebrate with us, since we are so far from home and our mothers. We thought that was the sweetest thing in the world. We gratefully accepted, touched at their thoughtfulness.

Then we went to Alison's work. She was asked to work, but wasn't sure if she had to go (it was a kind of suggestion). So I went in with her, to make sure. Well, they did need her, but her manager asked if I wanted something to drink. Alison told him I liked hot chocolate, so he paid for my drink. Later he said I could pick up an apron and start working. Still later, he asked if I wanted any fries. At this point, I got kind of antsy and wanted to walk a bit, so I declined. I thought it was sweet of him offering me so much.

Something really special about this week is that it is always a week of things to remember. Last Friday was my brother's birthday. This coming Friday is my mom's birthday. This Sunday is Mother's Day. I always felt stressed out about this, because everything happened at once.

Well, it is almost the weekend. One more day, and then it is time to sleep in...

1 comment:

  1. Tell your pastor and wife thanks from me. It made me all teary eyed reading their thoughtfulness inviting you and Alison over for mother's day. They are great!
    Oh, yeah, I've booked a flight. Now I'm waiting on the ticket. Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete